All About Me

Introduction

Photo Credit: Blog Author 

  Welcome to my blog! My name is Mayci Edwards and I am 22 years old. I am from a Carmi, a small town of 5,000 in Southern Illinois.  Growing up, I was highly involved with my school and community. This made me realize my passion was to study education and become a teacher. I had so many positive experiences in school and looked at my teachers as role models. At a young age, I decided that I wanted to make that same impact on others like they did for me.  Follow along as I begin my journey in education as a first-year teacher. It's hard to believe that my dream of becoming a teacher is finally reality.

Photo Credit: SIUs Twitter



  My Education

In high school, I began taking college courses at a local junior college. After I graduated high school, I moved to Carbondale to attend Southern Illinois University. I have recently graduated from SIU in December 2022 with a bachelors in elementary education. My student teaching experience in a 3rd grade EL classroom led me to continue my education and gain my ESL endorsements through Dominican University. While I taking courses on my ESL endorsements, I was hired as a long-term substitute at Unity Point School in Carbondale. Now, I am currently a 3rd grade teacher there and working on my masters.

The Mind of a First-year Teacher

WOW! How is September this week? These past couple weeks of school have been overwhelming with joy and stress. It seems like yesterday; I was setting up and decorating my first classroom. Now, I am planning lessons and grading nonstop! I have been implementing my classroom management and working on setting rules and routines with my students. On top of that, I have my first parent/teacher conferences coming up next week! I have already built so many great relationships with my students, their families, and the staff at my school. I can't wait to continue learning more about my students and their learning styles each day. I am looking forward to an awesome year with my first classroom. Lastly, I am excited to grow as an educator and learn more about teaching each day! Teaching is a growing process and I am trying my best to leave school with a positive mindset. Every day I am reflecting on my teaching and what went well and want needs to be revised or improved. I have already learned so much about being flexible and replanning lessons. As I continue my education, I hope to gain more knowledge on technology in the classroom through the EDU 776 course at Dominican University. I use technology daily with my 3rd grades to engage them in various lessons and advance learning. I believe this course will allow me to implement new methods and better my teaching strategies and techniques. Not only am I reflecting on myself but also student learning and behaviors. PSA: If you have any first-year teacher tips, they are greatly appreciated. 
Source: GIPHY.com

Outside of Teaching 

In my free time, I enjoy being active whether that's at the gym or outside on a walk. I LOVE being outside in the sun. I also enjoy spending time with my friends and family. These are my ways to distract myself and manage stress. I also enjoy to travel, my favorite place to be is at the beach (relaxing). A fun fact about me is that I just adopted two kittens! They have been keeping me entertained at night after a long day of teaching. Piper and Leo are five months old. They enjoy sleeping during the day and playing all throughout the night! 

Photo Credit: Blog Author








Comments

  1. Welcome, Mayci! Third grade is a great grade level. In regard to tips to teaching, I would say keep a routine with your students. I taught 4th grade and always had our schedule posted. When we were about to change subjects, I would give countdown warnings (e.g., 5 minutes left, 3 minutes left, etc.). Also be consistent in your consequences- don't "over promise" that a certain consequence will occur and then it doesn't. It's all about routine.

    Your kittens are absolutely adorable. Looking forward to learning with you this fall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mayci! Thanks for sharing some information about your life. You're a first year teacher!? That's amazing and overwhelming all at the same time. You'll get through it! Your kittens are adorable. I have a pet dog but love cats just as much. Looking forward to completing this class together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even though I am just starting my third year of teaching, looking back on my first year in my own classroom feels strangely nostalgic! I remember how stressful it can be and how there are some moments where I had no clue what I was doing. However, as I am sure you have heard from others, the growth that you go through with each semester is amazing. Keep killing it Mayci!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mayci! Congrats on your first teaching position! I'm going in to year 3 and I remember my first year like it was yesterday. Looking back, there are so many things I do now in my classroom that I wish I did then; but it's all about what works best for you and your students. I teach 4th grade special education and I love using timers during transitions.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts